Director of data management - #9804872
New England Institute of Technology
ACCOUNTABILITY: Reports to Chief Information Officer
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES: The Director will be responsible for leading the Data Management and Reporting team in designing, developing, maintaining, and troubleshooting Student Information Systems (SIS) and related applications, working closely with staff and faculty to create data solutions that meet teaching, learning and business needs. The team is primarily responsible for the Oracle-based Ellucian Banner SIS system and peripheral systems, both on-prem and SaaS. The Director will serve as both mentor and developer for operational duties, enhancements, and large projects. The position requires an experienced developer skilled on the Oracle platform to perform computer programming for new projects as well as to maintain existing SIS applications and the exchange of data with various external systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Lead the team responsible for design, development, security, maintenance, and oversight of the University’s databases in which data extracts are housed, including SQL, and stored procedures in MS SQL Server.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance processes that adhere to principles in the management of the University’s data, including data security and quality control procedures for extracting queries and storing data.
- Will drive strategy around ETLand data warehousing efforts for the University and maintain documentation of data sources, and dictionaries.
- Apply domain knowledge to exploring options and deciding on an action plan to leverage data assets more effectively for decision support and reporting; will need to recommend standardized practices in developing data solutions.
- Will serve as an effective liaison with all departments and work with the University leadership to formalize data governance used in reporting; This individual will coordinate data management and reporting efforts across the University
- Keep current with trends in higher education and practices, particularly on best practices regarding knowledge management in colleges and universities, including building data warehouses, developing institutional reporting strategies, analytics and providing decision support.
- Participate in code reviews via Team Foundation Server to ensure that code meets quality standards and is free of errors.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Program using SQL in multiple environments, SQL server and Oracle PL/SQL.
- Program and administer permission control in Unix/AIX/LINUX platform and UNIX shell programming.
- Experience with Azure Active Directory and Microsoft suite integration.
- Develop, test, and document Oracle packages, functions, triggers, and procedures.
- Problem solve and troubleshoot technical issues while working with the users to resolve production issues.
- Manage numerous timelines, multi-task in a software developer / database intensive role.
- Must have experience in C# ASP.NET , SharePoint, HTML , and report development using SSRS. Power BI knowledge preferred.
- Experience with Ellucian (SCT) Banner Student and Financial Aid modules desirable.
- Experience with Educational Federal Reporting Requirements (for example, IPEDS, National Clearinghouse) is desirable.
- Experience with APIs.
- Must be able to communicate complex technical matters effectively to diverse audiences
- The ability to mentor/train team members is necessary
- Proven ability to ensure data security and understanding of data privacy best practices
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects under short and changing deadlines, while ensuring accuracy
- Sufficient manual dexterity in both hands to be able to operate a computer.
- Attention to detail, ability to maintain focus and follow up on projects.
- Good interpersonal skills and commitment to excellent customer service.
- Ability to manage / supervise others and work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to take direction and perform tasks with no supervision.
- English-language speaking and reading skills sufficient to communicate by phone and in person to internal and external customers and read information on documents and files.
- English-language reading skills sufficient to read information on documents and files.
- Good organizational skills, excellent work ethic and commitment to reliable job attendance.
- Knowledge of contemporary office practices, procedures, and techniques.
- Spelling, vocabulary, math and grammar skills appropriate to the level of the position.
- Ability to operate a computer and various software packages;
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment;
- Ability to identify student needs and matching them with available resources
- Able to create, organize and keep records.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to meet college expectations regarding customer service.
- Ability to provide effective and responsive service to department customers and contacts.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or other related field with a minimum of 5 - 7 years of programming experience with SQL based systems and enterprise-level reporting tools.
- Enterprise level of experience with C# ASP.NET web development and applications.
- Demonstrated success navigating a complex work environment, preferably in higher education
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Jacques Laflamme, Chief Information Office, at *********@neit.edu.