Support specialist - #9804995
About Casa Esperanza
Casa Esperanza, Inc. is a bilingual/bicultural behavioral health treatment provider serving Boston and the Merrimack Valley. Our mission is to empower individuals and families to recover from addiction, trauma, mental illness, and other chronic medical conditions; overcome homelessness and discrimination; and achieve health and wellness through comprehensive, integrated care. Casa Esperanza has an operating budget of $12.5 million and more than $12 million in assets.
About the role
- The Patient Support Specialist role is a multi-tasking position that consists of all front-end functions for Familias Unidas Outpatient Programs (FUOP). This role is intended to “extend” the capabilities of the practice by working as a partner to the Practice Management Team and supporting the major work flows of the practice. Its functions include maintain confidentiality and privacy, consistent with HIPAA guidelines, highest quality of customer service, telephone management, scheduling patient appointments, checking patients in, verifying insurance eligibility, closing procedures, waiting area security, meeting room reservations, meeting with patients to support/complete intake process, and other practice management clerical tasks.
What you'll do
- Customer Service
- Provide a friendly, welcoming and caring greeting face and attitude to all patients arriving for visits.
- Communicate with patients and staff using multiple advanced communication tools, including phone calls, emails, alerts in electronic health record, mail.
- Answer and resolve patient inquires, in a professional, empathetic and patient-centered way, through the use of effective listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Utilize established Practice guidelines to ensure patients issues are addressed in a timely manner and when necessary, transfers the call to the appropriate person at FUOP or Casa Esperanza for additional consultation.
- Place reminder calls to outpatient patients to ensure participation in all scheduled services and document contact in the electronic health record.
- Email key staff at residential programs to ensure participation in all scheduled services
- Contact patients who have missed their appointments for rescheduling and document contact in the electronic health record.
- Provide outstanding customer service to external and internal customers over the phone and in person.
- Escalate appropriately any issues that fall outside of an existing protocol or process to meet the needs of the patient.
- Communicate closely with the Practice Manager to coordinate new intake visits and to schedule follow up appointments.
- Meet with patients for initial appointment to complete all clinical intake documents including Biopsychosocial Assessment, Joint Consent to Treat, Releases of Information and Consents for Grant involvement.
- Ensure all clinical documentation is signed and saved in the electronic health record.
- Conduct all BSAS enrollments as needed on a regular schedule.
- Communicate with patients about the intake process so they understand who they will interact with once they complete the initial meeting and what the next steps entail.
- Communicate with Recovery Support Services Staff, Peer Recovery Staff and Clinicians to coordinate a warm introduction for new patients.
- In conjunction with the Practice Manager, process internal referrals to accept new patients and create patient charts in the electronic health record system.
- Manage scheduling for all meeting rooms and common areas.
- Enter and/or scan all referral and demographic information into electronic health record.
- Create and/or update all benefit assignments in the Practice Management System to ensure billing workflow compliance.
- Schedule/reschedule patient appointments in practice management system for psychiatry, individual therapy, medical case management, care coordination, nursing, medication assisted therapy, labs, primary care, intakes, adult comprehensive assessments, insurance coordination, transportation services, employment and education services, peer support, legal support, and group therapy.
- Check-in and/or enroll all patients in the practice management system for the following services: psychiatry, individual therapy, medical case management, care coordination, nursing, medication assisted therapy, labs, primary care, intakes, adult comprehensive assessments, insurance coordination, transportation services, employment and education services, peer support, legal support, and group therapy.
- Provide administrative support in all projects, events and activities including photocopying, mailings and data entry.
- Prepare and send daily and weekly eligibility, intake, and task reports.
- Help facilitate patient intakes including paperwork and outpatient program orientation.
- Maintain lobby cleanliness and place work orders as needed
- Ensure all materials in classroom are well stocked and organized regularly.
- Send reminder emails for all groups and emails scheduled in outpatient for residential patients.
- Create and/or obtain all initial prior authorizations as needed.
Productivity, Workflow, Quality & Safety
- Complete all required staff logs.
- Ensure all visitors and staff sign in and out.
- Ensure that all windows and doors are secure, alarms are set and disabled correctly.
- Ensure that all items that are potentially dangerous are secured in a locked location.
- Manage the FUOP’s lobby area. Greets and directs all visitors, including vendors, patients, job candidates and customers.
- Monitor the front door and answers the front desk phone.
- Ensure the safety and security of all customers in the lobby, waiting area and 1st floor hallway.
- Responsible for closing procedures.
- Implement all safety and security requirements for the building including fire drills.
- Assure discreet handling of all business/maintains confidentiality.
- Identify opportunities to improve the work processes and environment, and changes in Practice protocols; remains current on new developments.
- Attend scheduled training sessions for phone support, customer service, systems upgrades, newly acquired clinical systems, or other relevant training sessions, as directed by manager.
- Assist in the training/orientation of new personnel under the direction of a manager and/or supervisor.
- Participate in staff meetings/is expected to identify process issues that are obstacles to providing a positive patient experience.
- Complete special projects.
- Experience working at a front desk area preferred
- Outgoing personality with good interpersonal and communication skills, highly organized and efficient, dependable and reliable with strong computer skills.
- Strong verbal/written and data entry skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work as member of a team
- English/Spanish Bilingual required
- Bicultural preferred
- Ability to communicate with patients, vendors, and external providers in a professional manner
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and maintain composure during hectic situations
- Ability to understand and manage moral/ethical boundaries with patients/staff
- Experience working with practice management systems
- Experience with insurance verifications, benefit assignments and prior authorizations
- Ability to perform de-escalation techniques
- Knowledge of the revenue cycle process.
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the position (see attached)
- Ability to meet the training requirements of the position (see attached)
- High School Diploma or GED
- Knowledge of addiction recovery process, or willingness to acquire within first six months of employment.
- Current CPR certification required or must be obtained within 30 days of employment
What we offer:
Casa Esperanza Benefits Package:
- Compensation: $18 - 20/hr
- Holiday Pay (12 days per year + 1 floating holiday)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) - 18 days year one, 20.5 days at year 2, 23 days at year 5
- Sick Pay - 10 paid days per year
- Long / Short Term Disability
- Paid by Company Life Insurance
- Health Insurance (Medical Dental, Vison)
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
- FSA/DCA (Flexible Spending Account & Dependent Care)
- ComPsych Guidance Resources - EAP
- Educational Opportunities
- Tuition Remission
- Employee Ticket at Work (Discounts for Entertainment, travel, movies; etc.)
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Increased Salary for Credentials
- and more....
Physical & Mental Requirements
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
At Casa Esperanza, Inc., the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. That’s why all offers of employment are contingent on the candidate showing proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID 19 (currently one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine and boosted, when eligible) to pass the pre-employment requirements. Individuals with medical issues or religious beliefs that prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
Casa Esperanza’s EEO Statement
Casa Esperanza, Inc. values its diverse workplace and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply.
We recruit, hire, employ, train, promote, and compensate individuals based on job-related qualifications and abilities. Casa Esperanza, Inc also has a longstanding policy of providing a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of each individual and is free from all forms of employment discrimination, including harassment, because of race, color, sex, gender, age, religion or religious creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All employees, interns, volunteers and contractors of Casa Esperanza, Inc. are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.
Casa Esperanza, Inc. also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities or based on a sincerely held religious belief, in accordance with applicable laws. If you need to inquire about an accommodation, or need assistance with completing the application process, please email **@casaesperanza.org.