Transportation engineer associate - #9805037
State of Iowa Executive Branch
Iowa Department of Transportation’s Mission is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. To accomplish our Mission, the person selected for this position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the Iowa Department of Transportation’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
Shift: Days, Monday through Friday. Flex available.
Location: Office of Design
The Office of Design is looking to hire a full time Transportation Engineer Associates that will be part of a team developing projects that enhance the state and national transportation systems in Iowa. This individual will be an essential member of a highway design team that collaborates with numerous stake holders to develop innovative transportation improvement plans.
As a Transportation Engineer Associate your duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in engineering studies of transportation system improvements and develops alternatives for meeting the goals of the identified improvement.
- Analyzing transportation engineering data to determine the optimal operating characteristics for the proposed highway improvement project.
- Producing highway designs that are engineered in harmony with national (American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials) and Iowa DOT design guidance.
- Participating on a team to produce decisions that balance safety, mobility, environmental impacts, property impacts, cost and long-term maintenance.
- Performing design and engineering analysis for small to large highly complex highway improvement projects using advanced civil engineering software applications in 3D modeling and visualizations.
- Preparing roadway construction plans that clearly and accurately convey all aspects of the project.
- Ability to successfully utilize advanced software applications and work in a 3D design environment that produces cutting edge 3D machine guidance data for automated construction equipment.
- Analyzes challenges, defines successful solution alternatives, and proactively solves problems.
- Passion and commitment to excellence in our highway design products.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and a wide variety of individuals involved in our development process.
- Ability to successfully utilize advanced software applications.
- Motivated, friendly, inclusive, and get-it-done attitude.
- Embraces and encourages a culture that thrives on innovative ideas and leading changes that result in effective process and project improvements.
- Brings a professional positive attitude to our team every day.
- Possession of an Engineer certificate issued by the Iowa State Board of Engineering Examiners is required within 24 months of hire. Licensure as a Professional Engineer is required within 9 years of hire for continued employment as a Transportation Engineer Associate.
What we offer YOU:
- Competitive pay and benefits package including health, dental, flexible spending, and life insurance
- Insurance benefits start first of the month following 30 days of employment. 2024 health and dental insurance premiums can be found here.
- Opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package with employer match
- Optional 401A plan with employer contributions.
- Employee Discount Programs from variety of vendors (vision, cellular, fitness, recreation, season passes, travel, counseling; legal, financial).
We encourage you to view more about the State of Iowa Employee benefits and costs at the State of Iowa Employee Benefits Website!
You have the freedom to flourish in Iowa – Apply today!
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing any screening, interviewing, pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the selection process, please direct your request to the Affirmative Action & Equal Employment Opportunity (AA/EEO) Officer at: ******@iowadot.us
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment / devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, mechanics, structural, or transportation engineering or in engineering management.
- Possession of a verification of graduation with major course work in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, mechanics, structural, or transportation engineering or in engineering management.
Additional Qualification Requirements
Applicants hired with verification of graduation will be required to graduate with a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university within 10 months of hire.
Within a period of time after hire, as determined by the appointing authority, employees in this class may be required to obtain one or more of the following certificates, licenses, or endorsements:
- Certification as an engineer intern by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board
- Licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board is required within 9 years for continued employment; temporary training assignments will terminate within six months following a second attempt to obtain a professional engineer license or nine years from date of hire.
Why Choose the State of Iowa?
At the heart of our commitment to excellence is a dedication to our most valuable asset – our employees. Discover the outstanding benefits that set us apart as an employer of choice.
Our Robust Benefits Package Includes:
Enjoy a competitive salary that reflects directly on your skills and expertise.
Keep in mind, your wage is just one part of your total compensation. Unlock the complete value of your employment with the State of Iowa by using our user-friendly Total Compensation Calculator. Gain insights into your comprehensive annual compensation, including salary and State-provided benefits.
Health and Wellness:
Prioritize your well-being with our comprehensive health plans, including medical, dental, and vision coverage. Enjoy the peace of mind knowing that the State of Iowa covers 90% of the premiums, providing you and your loved ones with excellent coverage at a remarkably low cost.
We are proud to offer the Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS). A defined benefit plan, IPERS benefits are guaranteed for life, meaning once you retire, you will receive the same monthly benefit for the remainder of your life (once vested). We invest in your long-term financial well-being, so you can retire with peace of mind. Click here to learn more about IPERS.
Paid Time Off:
Life is unpredictable, and at the State of Iowa, we understand the importance of work-life balance. Our leave policies, including paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave with unlimited accrual, ensure you have the flexibility you need for personal and family matters.
Elevate your career with continuous learning opportunities. We support your growth through training programs, workshops, and tuition reimbursement.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP):
We care about your well-being beyond the workplace. Access confidential counseling, resources, and support through our Employee Assistance Program.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Be part of a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces all backgrounds and perspectives. We believe diversity is a strength that drives innovation.
Join Us - Elevate Your Career:
Ready to elevate your career with the State of Iowa? Click here to explore more about our unparalleled benefits and discover what makes us unique. Your success is our priority!