Office Technician II (May Underfill as I) - #9805274
SALT LAKE CITY CORP
Date: 2 weeks ago
City: Salt Lake City, UT
Salary: $17.78 - $26.74 per hour
Contract type: Full time
Position Title: Office Technician II (May Underfill as I) Job Description: Under general supervision of a divisional manager, section supervisor or office manager, performs special project work and a variety of skilled technical duties in providing support services to professional and managerial staff. This is very responsible and specialized clerical work which requires independent judgment, the ability to establish and manage records and tracking systems, and initiative in reviewing for accuracy and completeness the systems established Learn about Salt Lake City's benefits! TYPICAL DUTIES:
- Compiles and maintains record of departmental/divisional transactions and activities. Performs a variety of clerical duties utilizing knowledge of departmental systems, operational procedures and specialized office equipment
- Composes and types correspondence, technical reports and summary data. Performs any combination of routine posting, calculating, compiling of data and statistical computation. Analyzes and organizes information developed in order to prepare various reports and studies required by the department. Presents reports to professional and managerial staff in written form
- Answers phone and gives information to callers or researches information needed, and independently follows through on requests verbally or in writing. Responsible for interpretation of federal, state, city or departmental policies and relaying that information to the general public, department personnel and other city employees
- Receives and processes various types of applications, bids and requests for services; determines eligibility, responsiveness and compliance with required specifications. Documents and records decisions made. May meet with employees, contractors and members of the general public individually or in a group to explain policies, procedures and department decisions
- Provides technical and clerical support to departmental committees and boards. Transcribes minutes of the meetings, follows through on board assignments by providing details of projects or required actions to individual members. Prepares agendas, makes contact for required attendance, assembles board materials or packets of information as determined to be needed for accurate decisions by the board/committee. Posts and notifies the public of scheduled meetings and decisions made in accordance with state statutes and city policy
- Operates Computer in order to maintain, track and retrieve data. Determines computer format for reports and data collection. Catalogs, files and records data in accordance with departmental policies and procedures
- Performs all the duties of Office Tech I. May do mathematical calculations needed to assist division in developing project cost estimates and reviewing contractor bids. Prepares initial figures for project cost analysis and budget planning
- Performs other related technical duties and special projects as assigned
- Graduation from high school or equivalency and four years’ work experience as a secretary or in a related clerical position. Experience and training must include records management, research, data entry and retrieval from computer terminals, and the use of personal computers to do word processing or spreadsheets. Education and experience may be substituted one for the other on a year-for-year basis
- Ability to type 60 wpm net and/or proficiency in the use of computers for filing system, word processing and/or spreadsheets, depending on departmental requirements. Depending on department’s needs, position may require demonstrated ability to take dictation, speed write and accurately record minutes of meetings in an efficient and satisfactory manner
- Ability to operate various standard office equipment and other specified technical equipment
- Must be well organized, meticulous and able to prioritize tasks. Must be able to develop and manage automated and complex filing systems. Knowledge of office procedures, Business English, proper correspondence formats, and letter and memoranda composition
- Considerable knowledge of divisional operations, departmental procedures and systems and related law and regulations
- Must possess good research and mathematical skills and be able to use calculators
- Ability and means to travel between office and other worksites or locations when necessary to collect or distribute information
- High school graduation or equivalent, plus two years’ work experience in a related technical position. Experience and training must include data entry and retrieval from a computer terminal and the use of personal computers to do word processing and/or spreadsheets. .
- Ability to type 40 wpm net and/or proficiency in the use of computers for filing system, word processing and/or spreadsheets, depending on departmental requirements. Preference will be given to candidates whose computer type speed is 40 wpm or greater and who have demonstrated expertise with Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Ability to operate various standard office equipment and other specified technical equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and comply with established policy and procedures. Working knowledge of specialized field stipulated by division.
- Ability to relate with persons from diverse socio-economic and racial/ethnic backgrounds.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability and means to travel between office and other worksites or locations when necessary to collect or distribute information.
- Light physical effort and usually comfortable working positions. Occasional exposure to disagreeable elements and unpleasant working conditions depending on special assignment. May be exposed to discomforts associated with constant monitoring of computer video display screens
- Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior and various responsibilities