Transportation Coordinator - Overland Park, KS - #9805276
This position will have competitive salary with commission opportunities.
Watch this video and learn more about our Transportation Coordinators HERE!
The Transportation Coordinator (TC) plays a crucial role in the overall day-to-day freight management of shipments and/or assigned shipping accounts, while delivering cost effective solutions that keep the long-term interest of the customer as our priority. It is essential for the TC to work well individually and in a team environment; effectively solicit carriers to haul shipments, establish carrier & customer relationships, and solicit customers for transportation opportunities. This position also plays a critical role in providing quality service to customers, encouraging team morale and performance, while maintaining a positive culture within the branch.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED
- Broker transportation shipments and securing carrier capacity
- Trace & trace customer shipments
- Provide customer support to meet their needs and address issue
- Conduct spot pricing, rate negotiations to meet margin requirements, and ensure maximum profitability, and handle related concerns
- Meet all customer compliance requirements including but not limited to level of service, lane compliance, and communication timeframe
- Book loads with Registry Monitoring Insurance Service carrier compliance
- Engage in customer and carrier communication to sustain customer and carrier growth
- Develop and manage a network of outside safe and reliable carriers to move freight in the most profitable manner to ensure customer satisfaction and adequate service levels
- Help with financial procedures and operating metrics (detention management, research/resolving invoice discrepancies, benchmark rate achievement, automation objectives, expedite decisions and cost, etc.)
- Meet or exceed Watco and customer targeted financial objectives
- Meet or exceed required margin and revenue goals for the assigned branch
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED, college degree preferred
- Transportation or supply chain related experience preferred
- Apply knowledge of organization, communication, conflict resolution, and time management skills
- Use basic computer skills - Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, 10 Key, and Data Entry
- Ability to work with others and be a positive influence on co-workers
- Utilize professional phone and email communication skills
- Ability to multi-task with frequent interruptions
- Effective customer service skills and the ability to service both internal and external customers
- Ability to provide oral and written reports, business correspondence, and effective presentation of information to customers, team members, and managers
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Registry Monitoring Insurance Services (RMIS) skills recommended
- Transportation Management System (TMS) skills recommended
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment with extensive team member and supplier contact with frequent interruptions. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work Pattern – Salary with commission or bonus options
- Sit, stand, walk, and reach with arms – Completion of paperwork, long consecutive hours of typing and using the computer
- Talk daily to customers, team members, vendors, etc.
- Ability to hear what the team members communicate
- The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to travel
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.