Unit Communications Associate Weekends - #9805324
Children's National Hospital
7 East Medical Care Unit is an exciting, innovative, dynamic, fast-paced, 38-bed, acute care unit, and the first-choice unit for patients with diabetes, metabolic disorders, asthma, as well as numerous other general medical disorders.
7 East is known for its teamwork and multidisciplinary approach to the delivery of quality patient care. We value life-long learning, which is evident in the caring and expert way in which we welcome and train new team member and in how we support continued learning for all our staff. We continuously reflect on our practices, staff development and patient outcomes to ensure that we consistently provide high quality and safe patient care. The 7 East team is known for its amazing teamwork and supportive work environment.
Coordinates the communication activities for the nursing unit and models exemplary performance standards of customer service for patients, families and internal customers. Maintains patient care records and related documentation as determined by Health Information Management and Unit Support Services. Performs clerical duties for a specific unit. Performs receptionist responsibilities and tasks which ensure efficient operation of a Unit Communication Center.
Qualifications Minimum Education
High School Diploma or GED (Required)
Associate's Degree and/or some college (Preferred)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year In a healthcare environment (Required)
Computer knowledge and proficiency required
Basic MS Word skills
Excellent organizational, analytical and communications skills required
Attention to detail
Basic mathematics skills
Ability to interact with all levels of staff, patient and visitors with tact and diplomacy
Ability to respond quickly to specified emergency situations in other areas of the Hospital when needed
Follow all Hospital / Departmental policies/procedures
Remain on unit during assigned shift, notifying Charge Nurse and appropriate staff
members when leaving the unit for patient care related errands
Use designated staff areas for eating, smoking, and socializing (performed only during assigned breaks)
Leave patient care area when assigned shift is completed, replacement staff member is present, and report is given
Work area is left in a neat and organized fashion
Use downtime productively during shift
Communication Link between Patients/families and Health Care Staff
- Greet patients, families, healthcare staff and visitors in a friendly , approachable manner .
- Speak to the patient/family at a level appropriate to their level of understanding.
- Provide information in a helpful, collegial and/or caring manner and follow up on requests for information as needed.
- Communicate effectively among all disciplines and contribute to problem solving issues on the unit effectively and collaboratively .
- Communicate concerns or issues to the Charge Nurse/Coordinator or Unit Manager.
- Answer telephone calls in a professional, timely manner, and with a consumer-oriented approach.
- Relay information and messages in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain all communication boards.
- Follow procedures for visitors policy .
- Assist in mail distribution to clinical staff on unit.
- Coordinate admissions, discharges and transfers with the Bed Control Office and the Admissions/Discharge Nurse Coordinator .
- Discharge patients in computer system per protocol, immediately after patient leaves.
- Verify bed status and placement of patients in a collaborative manner and contact the Charge Nurse with bed placement issues promptly.
- Verify empty bed status report with the Charge Nurse each shift according to policy; maintain accurate census and bed control; and communicate environmental needs as appropriate.
- Maintain bed/crib par levels.
- Maintain environment of care by making rounds on unit.
- Use PSS (staffing) system to enter census data each shift as directed.
- Fax PSS flow sheets daily according to proper procedure.
- Provide a written and oral report for the oncoming Unit Communications Associate at the end of the shift.
- Follow procedures for visitor policy
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment.
- Assist Unit Manager with the collections of Patient Satisfaction Surveys.
- Assist in mail distribution to clinical staff on the unit.
- Answer call bells in a professional manner and with a consumer-oriented approach.
- May assist in Unit Orientation for patients / families.
- May assist with making requests for supplies of patient care needs.
- Fax orders to pharmacy per procedure.
- Maintain downtime box and follow downtime procedures including but not limited to faxing orders to the appropriate department.
- Prepare charts for surgery , special procedures, transfers and discharges according to established guidelines.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Maintain proper PAR levels of supplies on the Nursing Unit.
- In collaboration with the Unit Manager , verify all supply/equipment orders according to established budget parameters.
- Use E-Works accurately to complete all orders appropriately .
- Maintain supply/equipment log per unit protocol.
- Monitor and organize supplies in designated storage areas.
- Ensure that computer systems are properly plugged in at each station and clean equipment if necessary.
- Initiate communication for fixing equipment including but not limited to Hill Rom Call Bell system, Computer system, and Phones.
- Initiate the patient charge system according to procedure and downtime supply boxes.
- Work closely with Charge Nurse/Coordinators to maintain organized unit environment of care.
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Conducts Self Responsibly
- Attend mandatory in-services/educational programs to learn about new procedures, skills, products, equipment.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Assist with clerical orientation of newly hired nursing staff and Unit Communication Associates.
- Participate in Shared Leadership by keeping informed about council meetings and unit issues.
- Participate in shared-decision making through contributing to unit discussions and supporting shared leadership decisions
- Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
- Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
- Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things