Director, Business Risk and Controls - Operational Risk, Climate/Environmental Risk - #9805357
Let’s do something that really matters.
At USAA, we have an important mission: facilitating the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. Not all of our employees served in our nation’s military, but we all share in the mission to give back to those who did. We’re working as one to build a great experience and make a real impact for our members.
We believe in our core values of honesty, integrity, loyalty and service. They’re what guides everything we do – from how we treat our members to how we treat each other. Come be a part of what makes us so special!The Opportunity
We are seeking a talented Director, Business Risk and Controls in the Bank to handle Operational Risk, Climate/Environmental Risk and other as assigned. You will initially have 5-6 direct reports. However, this will probably change over time.
Oversees a team responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of programs that support effective Risk and compliance management in the first line of defense. Supports business leader adherence to the established Risk framework and ongoing supervision of business controls and is accountable for the development and mentoring of a high performing team responsible for Risk and control self-assessments, identifying control failures, facilitating Risk and compliance remediation, internal and external audits and regulatory exams, and monitoring the of first line of defense in an effort to minimize Risk exposures and strengthen the overall control environment.
We offer a flexible work environment that requires an individual to be in the office 4 days per week. This position can be based in one of the following locations: San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX, Phoenix, AZ, Colorado Springs, CO, Charlotte, NC, Chesapeake, VA or Tampa, FL. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.What you'll do:
- Directs staff and initiatives that support Risk and control management programs, to include governance support, Risk oversight, Risk infrastructure development, Risk identification, quantification, aggregation, and emerging Risks.
- Advises senior management and influences process change.
- Builds and manages a high performing team of Risk and internal control professionals through recruitment, training, coaching, performance management and related managerial activities.
- Manages consulting relationships with internal and external clients regarding budget and implementation deliverables and Risk mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Partners with key collaborators in the business and oversees the identification, assessment and documentation of Risks and controls, including Risks associated with new or modified products, services, distribution channels, regulations and/or third-party operations.
- Reviews, communicates and recommends the development of governance policies and procedures in partnership with senior leaders to ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Provides counsel to business unit managers on Risk management issues and supports the evaluation of new product strategies on their impact to USAA's Risk profile.
- Educates Risk owners on Risk/control best practices and may work with other lines of defense in the development and implementation of controls.
- Manages processes for collecting accurate and complete internal loss data from business areas.
- Directs analysis and data mining initiatives that identify, validate, and manage emerging Risk exposures, as necessary.
- Assists in the early identification of Risk trends by establishing and monitoring key performance and Risk indicators.
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled in accordance with risk and compliance policies and procedures.
What you have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance or related field of study; OR 4+ years of related experience (in addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be substituted in lieu of degree
- 8+ years of experience supporting Risk and/or compliance related activities in a financial services operating environment or other relevant industry; OR 8+ years of experience in a relevant quantitative subject area; OR Advanced degree or designation in a Risk management or quantitative subject area, and 6+ years of experience supporting Risk and/or compliance related activities; OR PhD in a Risk management or quantitative subject area, and 4+ years of experience supporting Risk and/or compliance related activities
- 3+ years of direct team lead or people management experience
- Knowledge of federal laws, rules, regulations, and applicable guidance to include: OCC Heightened Standards, BSA/AML, REG E, UDAAP/UDAP, TILA/REG Z, SCRA, FCRA, MLA
What sets you apart:
- Operational Risk experience including operational loss and scenario analysis at large and/or regional Financial Institution
- Experience in Climate and Environmental risk management strategy, appetite, scenario analysis, reporting, and measurement
- Experience building/establishing risk frameworks, programs and process design and implementation
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to influence without authority
- US military experience through military service or a military spouse/domestic partner
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
What we offer:
Compensation: USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market data of the position. The actual salary for this role may vary by location. The salary range for this position is: $120,550 - $230,900.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance and at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Benefits: At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
For more details on our outstanding benefits, please visit our benefits page on USAAjobs.com.
Applications for this position are accepted on an ongoing basis, this posting will remain open until the position is filled. Thus, interested candidates are encouraged to apply the same day they view this posting.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.