Principal Consultant- Metals and Mining - #9805539
Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
As a key member of our Americas Metals & Mining Consulting team, you will be responsible for managing commercial and strategy consultancy projects across the Metals & Mining sector in North America and Latin America markets, including a growing component of energy transition-related engagements, such as critical minerals and battery raw materials strategies and the setting-up their supply chains.
This is further reenergized by policy and regulatory changes such as the IRA, etc. The position requires the ability to apply detailed knowledge and experience of the Metals & Mining industry to a broad range of consulting projects and client situations, including commercial advisory and business transaction support, technology and decarbonization strategies, etc. based on a sound understanding of market fundamentals and dynamics.
The ideal candidate is a fast learner with an analytical mind-set and the ability to apply detailed knowledge and experience of the Metals & Mining and wider natural resources markets to a broad range of consulting projects and client situations. These analytical capabilities must be accompanied by a strong command of oral and written communication skills in both internal as well as external and client-facing environments. Additionally, the role demands outstanding team management capabilities, in a consulting context, with an understanding of coaching and other team development techniques. Finally, sound delivery planning and managing skills in a client-facing environment are required for the purpose of this role.
The principal focus of the role is on the North America and Latin America markets, however, the job holder may be involved in a range of global or cross-regional
consulting projects, including Europe, the Middle East, Africa or the Asia-Pacific regions. Occasional domestic and international travel might be required.
As a Principal Consultant at Wood Mackenzie you will lead our consulting assignments and business development efforts. Your main responsibilities will be:
- Understand the global and regional Metals & Mining market dynamics within the context of the energy transition, being able to effectively discuss recent event and implications with clients and colleagues (Consulting and Research)
- Collaborate with senior Woodmac business developers to engage clients to identify potential business opportunities, translating open-ended business inquiries into formal project proposals: effectively identify the ideal project methodology, properly scoping the associated work (identifying relevant work-streams and type of resources required to complete) and put forward a high-level work-plan and appropriate pricing
- Execute and manage consulting projects with different levels of complexity and specific workstreams within larger projects, effectively setting up a detailed project plan and executing work towards key milestones. You will be ultimately responsible to execute such work on time and within budget.
- Support senior Woodmac personnel and thrive to become the main point of contact with key client stakeholders during project delivery (status calls, presentations) and to channel specific market inquiries
- Train, coach and mentor junior consultants
- Engage consulting colleagues across other sector groups and with Wood Mackenzie research staff to deliver the best value to our clients
- Support and generate innovative ideas, approaches and scalable solutions to industry issues, both within particular assignments and to the consulting practice as a whole
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline such as economics, engineering, finance, statistics, or business; master's and/or MBA preferred
- Previous experience (5+ years) in leading engagements in an energy or natural resources focused consulting role or a strategic project management/advisor role within the Metals & Mining or natural resources industry
- Track record of quickly becoming knowledgeable and speaking credibly about a wide range of subjects and themes
- Strong understanding of the Metals & Mining value chain (mining, logistics, processing and commercialization), including the implications of the energy transition
- Strong understanding of commercial operations, business models and strategies
- Strong understanding of business valuation models and transaction support highly desired
- Experience managing and executing a range of consulting engagements (clients, topics, themes, sizes, duration)
- Experience in or exposure to business development (transform open-ended business questions into actionable work proposals): developing a consulting scope of work and associated work-plans preferred
- Experience in or exposure to building and maintaining relationships with clients preferred
- Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese language preferred
Wood Mackenzie Core Values
Wood Mackenzie is a place where we are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment which encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
Wood Mackenzie values each individual's contribution and helps them reach their full potential while sustaining an organisational culture of health and well-being.
Our core values are:
- Respect for the Individual
- Confidence with humility
We understand the importance of bringing your whole self to work and to achieving balance between work, family and other life commitments. We are open to considering flexible working arrangements to enable the greatest spectrum of talent to contribute to Wood Mackenzie's success.
Unsolicited resumes submitted to Wood Mackenzie by any external recruitment agency via Internet, e-mail, fax, or U.S. mail become the property of Wood Mackenzie and we are not responsible for any fees associated with those resumes.
In compliance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 1991, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities act of 1990 and all other relevant federal and state laws, the policy of this company prohibits discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran’s status, disability, genetic information or any other group protected by law. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran’s status, disability, genetic information or any other group protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access WoodMac.com/careers on-line as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations sending an email to [email protected].
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D, and a member of E-Verify.
Closing date: (internal applications only – between 1-2 weeks)
Please submit your resume and cover letter, outlining the knowledge, skills and experience you have to make you a suitable candidate.
Please ensure you discuss your intention to apply with your line manager in advance.
For further information please contact Human Resources.
WoodMackenzie takes your data privacy seriously, please click here to view our privacy notices: Candidate Privacy Notice | Wood Mackenzie | Wood Mackenzie / Candidate Notice - California